Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Jean Dress or Skirt for Recycle Jean Week at Sew Much Talent

I join the sewing creation project on the Sew Much Talent website and here is what I created. I got this idea from my cousin last summer about wearing jeans with the pockets as the front of a dress. So when this project came up I decided to put her idea to the test.
 I thrifted a pair of dark denim Relativity jeans with stretch in a size 14. I wear a size 8, so I knew I would need to alter the jeans to get the fit. I sewed down the pockets and cut the inseam out and sewed down the button flap but left the zipper operational. I inserted the fabric into the front and back of the jeans and took up the sides of the jeans about 1.5 inches on both sides. I tried on the jeans to fit my bust line.  I used a scrap of rayon to make the belt that is used as a halter neck to strap.The inset fabric is a scrap of this ITY knit left over from a McCalls dress I made 2 years ago.
This dress can be worn as a skirt as well. I paired it up with some wedge heeled sandals. I look forward to wearing it when it gets warmer.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila just trying to use up my scraps and be creative at the same time and will be cool in the summer.

      Delete
  2. Amazing transformation! Love the addition of the print, it makes it POP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sista girl...loving it. I did me one no to long ago but I NEVER thought about using knits. I will be using some of my knits straps in the very near future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and go for it I can't wait to wear it in the spring or summer.

      Delete
  4. Very creative and so different~ two thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete